Have you been struggling with dandruff for some time now, but after trying just about every anti-dandruff shampoo out there, your scalp is as itchy as ever? If so, you have come to the right place. Today we will show you the best way to get rid of dandruff permanently.
What Is Dandruff And What Causes It?
Dandruff is the shedding of dead skin cells and is one of the most common hair problems faced by people all over the world. Our skin continually renews itself and sheds dead skin cells. Most people don’t notice this process because the flakes are too small to be visible to the human eye. The skin of dandruff sufferers, however, renews at a faster rate than in people without dandruff, which results in large and visible flaking.
One of the most common misconception about dandruff is, that it is caused by a dry scalp. However, that is not true. Most people with dandruff have actually an oily scalp. Research suggests that the fungus called Malassezia, which is naturally found on human skin, is responsible for dandruff. Malassezia requires fat to grow, so on people with oily skin the fungus flourishes. When the fungus grows too fast, it disturbs the naturally renewal of cells, which will then cause dandruff.
So the key to success is, getting Malassezia under control by getting rid of the excess oil present on your scalp.
How Not To Get Rid Of Dandruff?
While you were looking for cures to get rid of your dandruff, you have probably come across some of following suggestions: Wash your hair everyday, use an anti-dandruff shampoo, etc. Yes? Well forget them.
Washing your hair daily, might seem like a good way to get rid of oily hair, however it is not. Quite the opposite is true. Washing your hair too often strips your hair of its natural oils (sebum), forcing your body into panic. In panic your body responds by replacing the stripped away sebum and releases the oil. This creates a vicious cycle of over-shampooing and over-producing.
Keep in mind that the shampoo is a fairly recent invention and daily shampooing was not very common until the 1970s.
What about anti-dandruff shampoos? Although, an anti-dandruff shampoo might help you to keep your dandruff under control, it is definitely not the best way to get rid of dandruff permanently. Anti-dandruff shampoos contain harsh chemicals, such as sulfate, that are good cleaning agents, however, they are too strong for our hair. They too, remove all the natural oils on your scalp and make your hair look unhealthy and dry.
So, What Is The Best Way To Get Rid Of Dandruff?
1. Stop using regular shampoos and switch to natural shampoo’s without harsh chemicals. Two of our favorites are Degrease Shampoo for Oily Hair and Desert Essence Organics Hair Care.
2. Stop washing your hair so frequently. Start with washing your hair every other day. Then twice a week. In the beginning your dandruff and oily scalp will get worse because it takes some time for your scalp to return back to normal. Don’t give up. After a few weeks, usually between 2 – 6 weeks, your scalp will find its balance and you dandruff and oily scalp will disappear.
3. Wash your hair with warm water and gently message the natural shampoo with your fingertips into your scalp.
4. Rinse your hair with cold water. The cold water will close all the pores on your skin, which helps them to keep out dirt and other harmful substances.
5. Pad your hair down with a clean towel.
6. Let your hair air dry.
7. Bonus Tip. Applying an apple cider vinegar mixture to your hair once a week, will not only help you get rid of dandruff quicker, but it will also add volume and shine to your hair.
That’s it. Who would have thought that the best way to get rid of dandruff permanently is so easy. All it requires is a few simple adjustments to your hair washing routine.
If you have any questions or want to share your success story with us please do so in the comments below.