If dandruff is bothering you and you are looking for natural dandruff remedies, you have come to the right spot. Luckily, there are a number of natural dandruff remedies available. Below we compiled as list of remedies that we think work best. However, keep in mind that we all have different skin and what works for others, might not work so well for you and visa versa.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been used for thousands of years by people throughout the Caribbean because of its antibiotic and anti-fungal properties. Even today, it can be found in almost all skin and hair care products. Coconut oil contains Vitamin E and K, lauric acid and many more essential nutrients necessary for healthy and strong hair. Its anti-fungal properties help get rid of dandruff effectively, by prohibiting the growth of Malassezia, the fungus responsible for dandruff.
1. Gently massage coconut oil into your scalp once a week.
2. Leave it in for about 15 – 30 minutes and then wash it out.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help kill bacterias and fungus that cause dandruff. It also regulates the pH balance of your scalp, opens up clogged pores and acts as conditioner for your hair, giving it strength and the protection it needs.
1. Mix one part apple cider vinegar with one part water.
2. Pour directly over your hair and massage it into your scalp.
3. Leave it in for about 15 minutes and then wash it out.
For more information about apple cider vinegar for dandruff, click here.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Similar to Apple Cider Vinegar, Tea Tree Oil acts as an anti-fungal and is a natural antiseptic. It is also anti-inflammatory and effectively reduces redness and itchiness. Tea tree oil is taken from leaves of the melaleuca alternifolia, which is found in Australia.
1. Pour 5-6 drops of tea tree oil into your regular shampoo and conditioner or
2. Purchase a shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil is full in antioxidants and essential vitamins, that keep your hair healthy and shiny. It also acts as a natural moisturizer and prevents a dry and flaky scalp.
1. Apply olive oil before washing your hair.
2. Leave it in for about 10 minutes and then wash your hair.
3. Apply olive oil once more before going to bed.
4. Wrap your head in a towel or use an old pillowcase to absorb the oil.
5. Burdock Root Oil
Burdock is a plant and its root has been used as medicine for many centuries. It is currently very popular in Europe where it is used as a scalp treatment. Burdock is rich in essentials fatty acids, that promote a healthy scalp and natural hair growth.
1. Apply a few drops onto your head and gently massage it into your scalp for a few minutes.
2. Then wash your head thoroughly with water and dry off.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera can be found in many skin and hair care products because of its antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It is also very moisturizing and prevents the skin from drying out. Aloe Vera Gel can either be bought commercially or you can “make” your own.
1. Slice a piece of aloe vera leaf in half.
2. Squeeze the gel onto your head and massage it into your scalp.
3. Leave the gel on your scalp for about 45 minutes and then wash it out.
Yoghurt is a common remedy for dry skin, as it is very moisturizing. It reduces flaking significantly and feels soothing on your scalp.
1. Wash and rinse your hair.
2. Rub plain yogurt into the scalp.
3. Leave it on scalp for about 15 minutes and then wash it out.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice is a good natural cleaning agents and leaves your hair and scalp squeaky clean. It has also antibacterial properties that kill bacterias and fungus.
1. Apply lemon juice to your hair and scalp.
2. Leave the lemon juice for about 20 minutes. Note: Your scalp will burn and itch a little bit, but don’t worry this is normal.
3. Wash your hair thoroughly.
Egg whites have long been known to promote fuller and shinier hair. However, they can also be used to get rid of dandruff. According to research egg whites increase biotin levels, which fight fungus that causes dandruff.
1. Beat two egg whites and apply it onto your scalp.
2. Let it soak for about 15 minutes and then wash it out.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda absorbs the excess oil on your scalp and leaves it clean and flake free. The high pH of baking soda reduces dandruff and itchiness. Most people report a significant reduction in symptoms after the first use. Baking soda is our favorite of all the natural dandruff remedies available.
1. Gently massage baking soda into your scalp and then wash it off.
Research shows that stress and depression can cause dandruff. Good ways to release stress are: meditation, regular exercise, or doing other things that make you happy.
What natural dandruff remedies work best for you? We would love to hear your stories below.